Do you know what not to do after a devastating fire or water catastrophe in your Bradenton home? Over the last few blog entries, we’ve mostly covered what you should do after a fire or water disaster. For this post, we’ll cover what you shouldn’t do as well in specific situations. As we’ve noted, understanding how to recover after a catastrophic event eases the process reducing stress, anxiety and loss. We at Accutech understand how disorienting the entire process can be. If you have any questions at all concerning fire or water damage restoration in Sarasota, Bradenton or outlying areas, please do not hesitate to give us a ring and ask questions. After all, it’s what we do.
Tips For Soot, Fire And Smoke Cleanup After A Longboat Key Fire In Your Home
- DO NOT attempt to wash walls, floors, ceilings or any other surfaces in your home without professional assistance. Soot is a tricky beast. It’s oil based. Using the wrong materials to clean soot can make more of a mess than you previously had.
- DO blow off or vacuum soot from upholstery. Make sure you have the proper clearance from authorities before reentering your structure.
- DO NOT use carpeting or upholstery that was heavily impacted by fire and smoke.
- NEVER use food or canned goods that were exposed to heat. This can be very dangerous for your health.
- DO NOT use any electrical appliances until they have been checked. It’s also a good idea to turn off your home’s power main until further notice. Tape it down so it does not accidentally turn back on for any reason.
- YOU CAN clean chrome faucet attachments and the like with detergents. Apply some Vaseline to keep them from corroding.
- YOU CAN Open windows if the weather is fine for ventilation.
- DO Make sure that your pets are removed from the premises as well.
- If you have garments that are salvageable, send a sample to the dry cleaners before sending in bulk. It could save you time and helps to make sure that cleaning is within your budgetary limits.
- Call Accutech for assistance!
Tips For Water Damage Cleanup In Sarasota
Remember that water damage can be cause by backflow and natural flooding from storms like hurricanes, but it can also be caused by fire damage. The right way to treat the damage depends on the source of the problem. For instance, water damage alone can be contaminated with bacterial hazards. We find this most often as a result of toilet backups and flooding. One of the most important factors to saving your structure and belongings after a flood event is the speed with which you respond. Accutech guarantees we will be on-site and working to dry out your structure within an hour!
- NEVER operate electrical appliances after water damage. Do not risk electrical shock.
- DO NOT use heat to aid in drying building interiors. Heat provides suitable conditions for bacterial growth.
- NEVER leave wet fabrics in place. Space them apart to help speed drying.
- Call Accutech if you have water damage. We have the experience and tools to get the job done right fast our first time out.