Why Water Damage Restoration And Prevention Should Be On Your Mind
With no major hurricane’s to hit us yet this season it could be that 2012’s hurricane season is coming to an end. With this in mind, we would like to remind you that you still need prepare for the worst. This isn’t to say that we’re going to experience another bombast of destruction on par we did several years back. Storm prediction remains an inexact science.
- Accutech is the leading Sarasota water damage restoration company. Call us first for fast dry-out services after a storm!
However, 2012 is the 20th anniversary of Hurricane Andrew, the category 5 storm that devastated the greater-Miami area.
The moral of this reminder: we never really know what will happen. Two keys to weather safety are to prepare for the risks and to act on those preparations when alerted by emergency officials. Part of hurricane preparedness is knowing how to protect yourself from water damage and who to call for water damage restoration.
Lessons Learned About Hurricane Preparedness And Sarasota Water Damage Restoration
Here are few thoughts to mull courtesy of the National Hurricane Center.
“History teaches that a lack of hurricane awareness and preparation are common threads among all major hurricane disasters. By knowing your vulnerability and what actions you should take, you can reduce the effects of a hurricane disaster.
Hurricane hazards come in many forms, including storm surge, heavy rainfall, inland flooding, high winds, tornadoes, and rip currents. The National Weather Service is responsible for protecting life and property through issuance of timely watches and warnings, but it is essential that your family be ready before a storm approaches. Furthermore, mariners should be aware of special safety precautions when confronted with a hurricane.”
Take time to educate yourself about hurricane preparedness and water damage restoration in Sarasota, and please take a brief moment to download “Tropical Cyclones – A Preparedness Guide.” Here’s what you’ll read:
- What is a tropical cyclone.
- Understand what the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane wind scale and what it means to you.
- Comprehensive explanations of hurricane hazards including storm surge.
- Ways to stay informed.
- What to listen for.
Checklist: What To Do Before A Storm And Preventing Sarasota Water Damage Restoration
- Determine safe evacuation routes inland.
- Learn locations of official shelters.
- Check emergency equipment, such as flashlights, generators and battery-powered equipment such as cell phones and your NOAA Weather Radio All Hazards receiver.
- Buy food that will keep and store drinking water.
- Buy plywood or other material to protect your home if you don’t already have it.
- Trim trees and shrubbery so branches don’t fly into your home.
- Clear clogged rain gutters and downspouts.
- Decide where to move your boat.
- Review your insurance policy.
- Find pet-friendly hotels on your evacuation route.
- Call your Sarasota water damage restoration experts for any questions. We have the experience you need.