Sarasota Water Damage To Your Baseboards? Here’s How To Fix It
Water damage in your Sarasota home is serious business. It can cause structural damage, rot and mold. Here, we’re going to look specifically at Sarasota water damage to your baseboards and how to repair it. It’s vital to note that, while many post-flood repairs can be completed by the homeowner, water damage removal in Sarasota should be performed by CCIRC-trained professionals who have access to the best equipment, the latest knowledge and techniques and the experience to handle water removal quickly.
The way to indentify water damage to your baseboards depends first one what they’re made of, and many homes have what is called medium-density fiberboard (MDF). You’ll know it is water damaged because it will swell up. It’s fairly porous and vulnerable. If the damage is extensive, you will most likely have to replace them. However, small affected areas can be fixed!
OK, do-it-yourselfers, you will need the following tools:
- Orbital sander (preferred, but you can hand sand)
- Sanding block
- Paint and paintbrush
- Water sealing primer
- Putty knife
- Auto body filler
- 60 and 120 grit sandpaper
Now, let’s get started…
Repairing Your Baseboards After Sarasota Water Damage
- Sand your baseboard with an orbital sander with course, 60-grit sandpaper. Sand along the length of the board to decrease affected areas to the same plane as the neighboring non-water damaged baseboard. Then sand with a medium, 120-grit sandpaper. You’ll probably see some holes or voids in the baseboard when you’re finished.
- Fill the “valley” areas with auto body filler using your putty knife. Press the filler into the openings and scrape the putty flush with the baseboard. Allow it filler to completely harden. About 40 minutes to an hour is a good, sure length of time.
- Sand the filler using your sanding block and fine sandpaper to remove high spots left by the filler. If necessary, add more and repeat.
- Prime the repaired area with a water resistant primer recommended for fiber board applications. If your baseboard is MDF, it has to be thoroughly protected from water. This means that you have to prime all sides of the wood, even the cut edges.
- Paint your new baseboard with two coats of a water resistant paint. Allow four hours between coats.
For All Sarasota Water Damage And Dry Out, Call Only Accutech For Maximum Confidence
When you have a flood, or if you have leaking pipes, water damage will likely occur. For super speedy service and unrivaled professional Sarasota water damage dry out, call Accutech!