We at Accutech understand the need to prevent potential water damage in your home. Unwanted or excessive water is a leading cause of property damage and mold infestation. Both are a hazard to your health and your bank account, as well as being a major headache to clean up, disrupting the flow of everyday life. Unfortunately, some of our most –used and beneficial household appliances are potential sources for flooding. Accutech would like to take a look at the most common appliances that cause overflow and help you with flood prevention.
The 3 appliances most often associated with causing water damage in your home are:
- Water heater
- Washer (clothes)
How You Can Help Prevent Water Damage: Preserving A Dry Home In Sarasota
- Accutech recommends you stay vigilant and aware of any potential leaks your appliances might develop. The sources for leaks are many, and you should always keep an eye on your ceilings, walls and baseboards for discoloration. But for your appliances and plumbing in particular, it’s important to know where your water mains are and to be prepared to shut them off in case of an emergency.
- React quickly to leaks around the base of your washing machine, refrigerator, dishwasher.
- Make sure you follow recommended maintenance schedules for your appliances.
- Periodically check hoses on your washing machine for wear and to make sure it is secure. If you see any cracking, replace the hose. And if you leave home for an extended period of time, close the valve running to your washing machine.
- Occasionally drain your water heater. Clean out any collected sediment.
- Install shut off valves for any lines leading to sinks and faucets and outdoor faucets.
- Use an abundant amount of water when using your disposal unit. It aids in flushing any remainders. Likewise, always be aware of what goes down your drains. Don’t wash heavy dirt down them.
- Heavily –soiled clothing can cause trouble for your washing machine. Always wash extra-dirty clothing outside with a hose before washing items in your machine.
- Do regular inspections of your air conditioning unit, checking hoses and lines.
- If you have an Accutech pro on your property, as us to inspect other connections and appliances around the house.
We here at Accutech Restoration and Remodeling in Sarasota have you, our customer, first in mind. When building or remodeling a home, there are a few other things we recommend doing as safeguards to keep your home dry.
- Install two drains in your laundry room, one for the floor and one specifically designed for your washing machine.
- Always consider extended warranties on appliances.
- Always build a more-than-adequate drainage system for a new home because newer appliances are designed to drain high volumes of water very quickly. Likewise, if you are remodeling and own an older structure, consider revamping your drainage system so that it is able to handle large capacity drainage.
- Design some wiggle room in walls to make plumbing repairs easier and locate water lines in easily reachable, readily accessible areas.