Picture this – you just got home from a nice night out with the family, you walk in the front door and step into a new found pond in your living room. If you find yourself in a similar situation the first thing you need to do is call a Qualified Water Damage Company. In water damage situations speed is the key. While you are waiting for the water damage company to arrive here are a few things you can do yourself to prevent further damage to your home.
Water Damage Prevention Tips:
- Shut off the water source, if possible. Determine the type of water source; is it from you drains or from your water pipes. If you are not able to determine the source wait for a professional to help make this determination.
- Protect your property from further damage with temporary, reasonable and necessary repairs such as putting plywood or plastic covers over roof or wall openings.
- Move household items to an undamaged area of your home or at least cover them with plastic. Mop, blot up or wet vac as much water as possible. If the water is from an unsanitary source, have a professional organization remove the unsanitary excess water.
- Don’t leave books, magazine or other colored items on wet carpeting. Remove oriental or other colored throw rugs from wet wall-to-wall carpeting. Remove the pads from under saturated carpets. Place wood blocks or aluminum foil between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture. Open drawer and cabinets to aid in faster drying.
- Turn on the air conditioner or fans for maximum drying, as long as it’s safe for you to use electricity.
- Make small holes in sagging ceilings to get rid of trapped water. Be sure to put a pan or bucket below to catch the water before you make a hole. Don’t turn on a ceiling fixture if the ceiling is wet – don’t mix water and electricity!
- Remove any insulation that is wet and have it replaced with new dry insulation.
- Make sure that flooring and carpets are dry before starting any repairs or making replacements. Typically, the carpet is the first item in your home to dry. This does not mean the home is dry. Have a professional check the walls, floors and wall cavity if necessary to be sure the entire structure is completely dry.
- If you discover mold in the areas you are cleaning, consider calling in a professional cleaning firm. some molds may cause health problems.
If you follow at least some of the above steps you will have a good head start towards drying out you wet home while you are waiting on the professionals.