Part of being a responsible homeowner is being prepared for whatever comes your way and, while we don’t like to think about fire damage or water damage, having a checklist and contingency plans for these devastating events is a valuable asset in your time of need. At Accutech we’ve seen the unfortunate people who aren’t prepared for these events and how they feel lost as a result of them. Arming yourself with a full understanding of your insurance policies and having an after disaster checklist in not only useful in these situations, it’s wise.
What To Do Immediately After A Fire Or Water Disaster In Your Sarasota Home
- Contact your insurance company right away.
- Keep a notebook to document the dates and times of conversations with everyone you speak to concerning your claim.
- Save receipts for meals, hotels, toiletries, replacement clothing, prescriptions, etc.
- Take photos or shoot video of each room for future reference and insurance claims. This will provide a digital inventory of some visible contents. Prepare a written inventory if possible.
- Remove any valuables if you are not staying in the house – jewelry, important papers (passports, licenses, insurance papers, birth certificates)
- Beware of scammers offering restoration services. Check references and visit the Restoration Industry Association website – www.restorationindustry.org – to find a responsible, reliable restoration company like Accutech Restoration.
Safety First! Fire And Water Damage In Bradenton
- Don’t return home until the proper authorities allow you back in.
- Do not turn on any electrical devices that are damaged by water as it can result in electrical shock.
- Protect your hands and feet. Wear rubber gloves, work gloves and thick-soled shoes, not tennis shoes since they are vulnerable to nails, glass and other sharp objects.
- Only enter during daylight hours if there is no electricity.
- Leave the premises right away if you smell gas or the structure seems unstable.
- Turn the power main off and secure it with tape to prevent it from turning on when the power is restored.
- If you have fuel oil or propane, turn off the valve at the tank. Turn natural gas off at the meter.
- Keep clear of rooms with sagging ceilings.
- Treat all standing water as toxic.
- Floods may force many creatures out of their natural habitats – beware of snakes, spiders and other reptiles and mammals that may take refuge in debris.
- When leaving, secure the building to prevent further damage.
- Or simply call Accutech Restoration and we would be happy to handle all of the above.
Restoration Tips For Fire And Water Damage In Bradenton
- Transport computers and musical instruments to a dry environment.
- Remove lamps, telephones & decorative items from wet furniture tops.
- In wet environments, open windows to ventilate the area. Open drawers and cabinets for interior drying, but don’t force them open.
- Remove standing water from flat surfaces by sponging and blotting.