Although we may have passed this Florida hurricane season unscathed, it is always appropriate to be prepared for the worst. When a mild hurricane hits, most Floridians just stay put and ride it out. But occasionally we see a big one come through and need to evacuate quickly. In this case, it is good to have a checklist of items that you need to bring with you and things you need to get done before you leave. This will ensure that you have everything that is important to you and prepare you for the worst.
Below are some of the things you should grab if evacuating for a hurricane quickly. Click here for a free comprehensive list you can download, print out and save for when you need it.
Bring These Items If You Evacuate For A Hurricane
- Health and home owners insurance policies
- Wills and legal documents
- Passports, social security cards and license
- Wallet, checkbook, cash and credit cards
- Emergency contact list, address book
- Family photos and irreplaceable items
- Video or digital photo record of all items in the house (you will need this your insurance claim if something does happen to your home)
- Bottled Water
- Canned Goods and emergency food
- First aid kit
- Medications and prescriptions
- Laptops, cell phones and chargers
Again this list is a starting point, for a full list click here. It is important to remember that it is better to be safe than sorry if faced with the question whether or not to evacuate. If you do need to evacuate it is much less hectic and stressfull if you have assembled all of the above items in one place and have them ready to go at a moments notice.