Mold can begin to form as soon as 24 – 72 hours after a water event, given the right conditions.
Sarasota, FL, homes and businesses are always at risk of mold exposure due to a variety of factors. We believe that you should have all the information you need to understand what problems you could face when dealing with mold, and how to correctly resolve them.
First, what is mold? Mold is a form of fungus that can grow both indoors and out. For mold to grow, it needs a source of food, oxygen, and a humid environment. Mold spreads through the spores it generates. These spores can survive in conditions that mold cannot. This resiliency makes mold spores a very stubborn and resistant problem that can reoccur even after the mold itself has been cleaned away.
Dangers of Mold in Your Home or Business
If left untreated, mold can cause significant damage to the structure of your home or office. Mold feeds on organic matter and will commonly feed on the paper face of drywall, paper-backed insulation, carpet, and pressed board cabinetry. Once mold has affected these porous materials, the materials require removal according to industry standards.
People have reported respiratory issues or flu-like symptoms associated with mold. Ask your doctor if you are concerned mold may be affecting your health.
Mold requires specific conditions to thrive and spread. So to prevent mold, understanding the causes and stopping the problem at its source is critical. These causes below tend to be the most common areas for mold to begin growth.
- Water Problems
- Roof – Often water begins to leak in the attic of a home and goes unnoticed. By the time you notice the leak, mold has likely begun to grow.
- Pipes – Leaking pipes can also cause mold, but the more dangerous pipes are the ones leaking behind the walls that you can’t see. Air conditioning condensation lines may become clogged, creating water damage around the air handler.
- Poor Ventilation
- If your home or business has poor ventilation, it will create stagnant, moist air which will result in longer drying times for wet surfaces. The longer a surface remains wet, the more likely the potential that mold will form. Mold will often form in closets incorrectly vented and behind furniture that is too close to a wall to allow sufficient airflow.
- Due to the humid weather in the Sarasota area along with the heavy rains, increased chances of mold growth in your home or business’s surfaces like the in walls or attic are incredibly likely. The air conditioning system in your home or office is the first line of defense against this humidity. If the air conditioning system is not dehumidifying properly, mold can potentially become an issue rather quickly.
Signs of Mold
Mold is never something to leave to chance. Mold can grow on your toilet, sink, tub, ceiling, drywall, behind the wall, or under the flooring. Understanding the signs of mold is extremely important, so contact a licensed specialist like Accutech to remediate the mold immediately. Here are some of the common signs of mold:
- Even if you can’t see mold, it doesn’t mean it’s not there. Often, people tend to smell a musty or damp odor before they see it.
- Visible Signs
- Mold can grow almost anywhere, and sometimes it can be easily spotted in your home. If you notice black, brown, orange, purple, or pink spots anywhere in your home, you should contact a licensed mold professional. However, sometimes the signs are not so obvious. If you see discolored drywall or swollen cabinetry in an area like the kitchen or bathroom, you may have an undetected leak. The space behind cabinets or vanities is an excellent place for mold to thrive.
Being able to identify mold cannot only help you save your home or business but also your health. If you are ever uncertain if you have mold, contact Accutech, and we will have one of our licensed professionals help you today!
Examples of Mold
Take a look at a few pictures of what mold looks like and the damage it is capable of doing.
Contact us to meet with you and your insurance adjuster for a detailed estimate
for all your water & fire restoration and reconstruction work.
Proudly Serving The Sarasota Area
Accutech Restoration & Remodeling is proud to service the Sarasota area. With our expertise and cutting-edge techniques, we restore homes and businesses to their former glory. From water damage to fire restoration, our skilled team delivers exceptional results, ensuring customer satisfaction at every step. With a commitment to professionalism and prompt service, Accutech Restoration & Remodeling is your trusted partner in restoring your property. Contact us today for a seamless restoration experience that exceeds your expectations.
- Bradenton, FL
- Englewood, FL
- Fruitville, FL
- Lakewood Ranch, FL
- Longboat Key, FL
- North Port, FL
- Palmetto, FL
- Port Charlotte, FL
- Punta Gorda, FL
- Sarasota Springs, FL
- Sarasota, FL
- South Venice, FL
- Venice, FL